Skip to main content

Winter Solstice or Yule

I do not agree with the Solar calendar system; the year ends when I just want to stay inside and stay warm. I prefer instead to use the Solstices as a calendar. The beginning of the Spring Solstice is the end of the year. Each successive Solstice marking an ending and the beginning of the season. I like to
look at the winter solstice, Yule, or Consualia as the time to finalize
the year. The Winter Solstice is perhaps the most powerful and mysterious time of the year. It is this time I use to meet the goals that I set out to accomplish in the Spring time.

I try to slow things down during the Christmas rush. Hustling the holiday is not what I call a Holiday. This is the time I choose to re-examine the goals I made for the year. Saturnalia is actually the Christmas Holiday. Coming from the Greek/Roman calendar and holiday traditions we now have for Christmas. During that time, it was a time to relax from labor, celebrate the end of the farming season and store the harvest for the coming winter.

I look at what I have accomplished and what is unfinished. I create an environment that is happily conducive to contemplation (it may be music, incense, and a favorite room). Then, on a piece of paper, I write three lists.

My first list contains ten things that I have found challenging this past year. Not just from goals I set. But also from events that came into my life that were challenging.

For my second list, ten things that I have gained this year. Not just from saving money to buy a item. It could have been from a relationship new or old or a different perspective.

The Final list, ten things that I will open myself to experiencing in the coming year. What do I want to experience or learn? How do I want to go about getting that something I want?

I then spend some time to reflect on the things I have written down. I try to look back over this past year and feel for my accomplishments. I don't beat myself down for not meeting my goals. If I did not meet my goals, the goals was not well thought out or there may have been circumstances beyond my control.
I spend some time examining my intentions for the coming year.

Once I am done, I relax my thoughts, enjoy some more downtime. Spend time planning for how to strengthen family and get re-acquainted with friends or broaden a new friendship. Once my heart, mind and holiday spirit are full and prepared, I get rid of my lists. I usually wad them up and toss the paper in the fireplace or trash can. Releasing these contemplations allows me to act on what is really important instead of having a list I just tend to ignore. It is my way of letting go and letting God step in and give a hand.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Watch, Act, Heal

This walk I have been taking down the little path of spirituality often has dropped me off into a emotional void. Trust and love seem to be the first emotions to close up and withdrawal. With a lifetime of being incorrectly educated to be concerned with others opinions and desires, I have created situations of distrust and conditional love. I have done this to spouses, children and other people, creating victims and martyrs alike. I am changing this with the Four Agreements. So this emotional void or abyss that one must traverse to gain a better understanding of the different parts of the heart and mind is very scary and I am so convinced it is full of demons and dragons of hurt and suffering. I understand that I must trust myself, in soul purpose and higher mind purpose, to guide and hold a space of openness, trust and love. To reach for the highest ideal I can access and pay attention thoughts, feelings and intentions I must remain focused, maintaining peak states of Now. Paying atte...

Love, Forgiveness, & Gratitude

So many people have thoughts of futility about their lives, it becomes frustrating to actually listen to others peoples conversations. Many are so wrapped up in the rigid patterns of perceived priorities they do not even remember why they are existing; everyday functions are performed on autopilot. Of course having a basic understanding of why we exist and what we are suppose to be accomplishing tend to take many on journeys of the soul. The struggle can be easily overcome for yourself and for everyone else around you if you can utilize these three applications -- love, forgiveness and gratitude. Not to say life will no longer have its challenges; solutions to the insurmountable issues will be much more available if you apply these three aspects. John Lennon's lyrics to the song "Love" says much about the true measure of love that we need to apply in our worldly lives. "Love is knowing we can be" is pure humanity. The love of God is beyond our understanding and ...

Giving more to my spouse

Currently I am working through several books, self-help, higher consciousness, type books. One is by Steve Pavlina "Personal Development for Smart People" and another Don Miguel Ruiz "The Four Agreements". My goal was to read three books a month that will challenge me to make changes. Of course I still have my other spiritual studies that I am to complete. I am doing okay on this challenge. Recently my lovely spouse has decided to be really challenging too my development and has produced a list of "expectations" she has for a spouse. To say the least, she has been frustrated with me lately. Understandably so. So in return I will be making a list of intentions for her. I am working through the list and making sure that each thing is inspiring, practical, purposeful and yet just challenging enough to not provoking to her free agency, goals and desires. Before I get into finalizing that list I am going to make some of my intentions known to the world, my sp...